Easiest Way to Make Yummy Grandma's chow chow recipe

Grandma's chow chow recipe. Great recipe for Grandma's chow chow recipe. FOODIEWINO gave me a small batch recipe that was good. then my great aunt shared this recipe from my great grandmother. i used to go to my great grandma's and she would have chow chow. or green tomato relish. it is good on hot dogs and. Chop tomatoes peppers and onions bite-size or smaller.

Grandma's chow chow recipe Cook all together until it comes to a boil. When I made this chow chow it was as close to Grandma's recipe that I could get and it does taste great also. / Recipes / Sauces. When I made this chow chow it was as close to Grandma's recipe that I could get and it does taste great also. You can cook Grandma's chow chow recipe using 11 ingredients and 14 steps. Here is how you achieve that.

Ingredients of Grandma's chow chow recipe

  1. You need of **** FOODIEWINO gave me a recipe and then my great aunt gave me my great grandmother.
  2. You need of large green tomatoes... diced in big chunks.
  3. You need of large onions, course cut.
  4. You need of medium head cabbage.
  5. Prepare of salt.
  6. Prepare of tumeric (THIS IS FROM FOODIE).
  7. Prepare of pickling spices.... in a square of cheese cloth tied off.
  8. It's of small hot peppers... can use less or more.
  9. Prepare of sugar.
  10. Prepare of apple cider vinegar.
  11. You need of bell peppers in rainbow colors.

Great recipe for Grandma's chow chow recipe. FOODIEWINO gave me a small batch recipe that was good. then my great aunt shared this recipe from my great grandmother. i used to go to my great grandma's and she would have chow chow. or green tomato relish. it is good on hot dogs. … Whether you call it Chow Chow, Chow-Chow, or ChowChow, this dish is made in lots of variations, just like the. See more ideas about chow chow recipe, grandma's chow chow recipe, pickling recipes. When the Chow-Chow is finished, I use my paternal grandmother's glass canning funnel to fill the jars.

Grandma's chow chow recipe instructions

  1. Prep the veggies the night before....
  2. I use my food processor and just pulse small batches. Veggies should be left in course pieces.... Because if not they will become mushy when processing..
  3. Put mixture in air tight storage container. Cover with water and sprinkle with 1/4 cup salt and place in fridge over night....
  4. The next day the veggies will be wilty.. Wet cheese cloth and lay inside colander... I pour veggie mixture into colander and thoroughly rinse OFF ALL THE SALT!!!...gather ends of cheese cloth and squeeze...after squeezing out as much liquid as possible... leave sit in colander for about 30 minutes to an hour to drain....
  5. Veggie mixture should have as much liquid as possible removed....
  6. Pour vinegar in a stock pot. add sugar, spice bundle, tumeric. LAY HOT PEPPERS ON TOP.... (The peppers can be minced and added for a hotter mix). Allow to Cook for approx 30 minutes on simmer... So that all the spices blend...
  7. Add veggies and Stir occassionally or until cabbage and tomatoes are tender..
  8. Fill a cannery stock pot about 2/3 full.... let the water get hot...
  9. Remove spice bag and hot peppers from cabbage mixture..
  10. Put jars in hot water to sterilize... about 10 mins... Remove jars and drain....
  11. Spoon chow chow into sterile jars.... leaving approximately 1/2" of room in the top of the jar; seal with flat lid and put on ring lid.. do not over tighten..
  12. Put filled jars in hot water bath.... leave them there for 10 minutes.... slight boil... Use canning instruction for waterbath canning.
  13. I have a pair of jar tongs that I got at Walmart.....
  14. Take them and let cool on a clean towel.on the counter. at this point tighten the outer ring of the jar..

It always gives me a good feeling that I am continuing family traditions. Neither of my daughter's have shown an interest in making Chow-Chow but I still have hope for my. Stories of how my grandmother's family had survived the Depression years living on 'chow' sandwiches. Chow or more commonly called Green Tomato Chowchow is a green tomato and onion mixture preserved with vinegar, white sugar and spices. S ome recipes call for brown sugar but that dramatically takes you away from the flavour of Nanny Ekstrom's chow!

Comments